Monday, May 02, 2005

Message Recap "crossing over to the Other side"

The message today was based on the text from Joshua 3 &4. This is where the Israelites are to exercise their faith and walk through the river to the promised land. The river is at flood stage and does not part until the priests carrying the ark of the covenant place their feet in the water. The message was that God calls us to follow him and doesn't provide assurance until we first obey. Our faith journey is just that; an opportunity to keep moving, always exercising our faith never staying in one place to get comfortable. The title of this blog is My Humble Walk, emphasizing the walking part as always moving, never arriving, but always getting closer to where I am suppose to be. The humble part, well that attests to the fact that I tend to fall down a lot. And sometimes when I fall, I just sit there. and decide to get comfortable. And sometimes I get all excited and race on ahead, only to find I've taken a wrong path and need to back track. The title is taken from Micah 6 "Walk humbly with your God." Walking with God requires me to walk a little bit behind him, listening to Him for direction. That takes practice because sometimes he says "Move forward" when I am frozen in fear, and sometimes he says "wait" when I am chomping at the bit to go in a direction I am sure is the right one. So how can I distinguish between God's voice and my own? Meaning, how do I know when God is saying "go in this direction" vs. My own ambitions or God saying "wait" verses my own fears or complacency keeping me stuck.
It reminds me of a story I heard once about a man who proposed to a woman saying. "God spoke to me and told me to marry you." to which she replies something like "Really? God spoke to me and said it's time to break up." Who was really in touch with God's voice, if either?
I've learned from experience some ways to distinguish God's urging vs. My own thoughts and desires. I've found that God can be a bit relentless. If he is urging something, the thought is a nagging one never really letting go of me. I have also found that if I don't wait when I sense I should my thoughts take on a rebellious quality. "This is my life and I am going to do what I want to do." I have always felt regret after making decisions with that mentality. So I have tried to walk with a certain sense of curiosity even when things seem to be going wrong or I feel like I am walking alone. "I wonder where God is going with this?" and I have learned a few times to jump into the river with both feet even when I have felt terrified. I have always found out later why that was necessary and it builds a history between me and God, where I learn to trust him more. Of course there are probably more times than not that I have camped out on waters edge afraid to go in. I am a total comfort seeker and I do have plenty of fears. But I have a God who keeps on urging and who seems to be very patient with the stumbling bumbling fool who is trying to walk along side of him. I am glad He waits up for me.

No comments: