Friday, March 25, 2005

Finding myself in the Easter Story. Pilate and the Crowd Matthew 27:21-25

4 gospels and many of the prophetic books of the Old Testament tell the story of Easter, or at least parts of it, different versions and different details. All together they point like spokes on a wheel to the true center and purpose of the Word of God and give us groundwork for understanding God’s plan of salvation for his creation.

And many characters are introduced and as I learn about them, I am compelled to search myself to find out where I fit in. Who am I? Some of the characters are placed in juxtaposition to each other, so that we can contrast their purpose.

There is Pilate and the Crowd. Initially Pilate seems reluctant to crucify Jesus declaring him innocent. The crowd on the other hand wants him crucified. Both of them make reference to Jesus’ blood. Pilate washes his hands and claims innocence of “that man’s blood” Matthew 27:24. The people cried, “Let his blood be on us and on our children.” Matthew 27: 25. Interestingly this line was removed from the movie The Passion of Christ so as not to create an attitude of anti-Semitism. We don’t want to blame the Jews for Jesus’ death. But the crowd is symbolic of more than just the Jews, thank goodness. Had I been there as one of Jesus’ followers, I would have contributed to the collective gasp that must have occurred reflecting a fear that maybe God wasn’t going to win this thing. Look at the people demanding death of the one that God sent to be the Savior, Messiah and King. If we as the human race have free choice, then are we exercising our free choice to turn our backs on God Himself? What hope is there for us if we are not for God? It is amazing to see that God’s perfect plan is demonstrated in the voices of the people requesting, “Let His blood be on us and on our children.” Long before He had set up a system at Passover in which the angel of death “passed over” the Israelites homes because their doorframes were marked with the blood of the lamb. The only way an Israelite family could be saved from death was to bear the mark of the blood. The only way we can be saved is through the blood of Jesus. And so I say, with sad confession that I play a role in His death and that I too request, “His blood be on me and my children.” It is the only way that I can bypass the second death that comes as a consequence for sin. Pilate on the other hand “washed his hands” of the whole matter, or so he thought. He didn’t want to be associated with Jesus’ death but he wanted to be a people pleaser too. He loved his position and prestige too much to risk losing it on his belief that Jesus was an innocent man. He played a huge part in crucifying Jesus, just as we all do. Only he denied it, to save himself. By refusing to recognize his role, by denying his own responsibility, he divorces himself from the only thing that can truly save him. How much better for him to have humbly said, “Let his blood be on me too.” I remember last year when I watched "The Passion" I thought, "I won't close my eyes and pretend that this has nothing to do with me." As hard as it was to watch in terms of the level of violence it is harder still to watch with an attitude of responsibility.
Lord, let me be a voice in the crowd, let me be one who recognizes deeply how desperately I need for Christ’s blood to be on me and on my children. And let me recognize that it is because I am part of a fallen human race, a fallen individual that I do take responsibility for Jesus’ death. It is necessary for me to have life.

No comments: